St Margarets Church in Mapledurham - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Virtual tour panorama showing the outside of St Margaret Church in Mapledurham Village near Reading. Image taken in early April 2012.
St Margarets Church in Mapledurham - FURTHER INFORMATION
St Margarets Church in Mapledurham - Pangbourne visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'St Margarets Church in Mapledurham' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Berkshire.
St Margaret's Church in Mapledurham village stands next to the grounds to Mapledurham House at the end of the village. The church is dedicated to St Margaret of Antioch and dates from the 13th century, built by Sir Robert and Dame Amice Bardolf. Much of the original building was demolished during refurbishments in the 19th century, but the south aisle, known as Bardolf Aisle, is original and dates from around 1385.
Inside the church is the tomb and brass of Robert Bardolf. Also in the church is a brass dedicated to Jane Annesley, who was married to John Iwardby. Also in the church is a memorial to Sir Charles Lister (d. 1613), who left part of his estate to his godson Lister Blount to found a hospital and a free school for poor of Mapledurham and Bicester. On the walls of the aisles are 6 'hatchments'; coats of arms of various noblemen from the surrounding area. The roof of the church is timbered, and, above the altar, decorated.
St Margaret's in Mapledurham is part of the parish that also includes the churches of St Peter in Caversham and St John, also in Caversham.
St Margaret's Church
Mapledurham, Reading, RG4 7TR
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Road: Mapledurham is on a narrow country lane, about 4 miles from the center of Reading, about 3 miles from Pangbourne and Whitchurch-on-Thames..
Train: Pangbourne Station, Tilehurst Rail Station - both with direct trains to Oxford, Reading and London.
Boat: Along the River Thames.