Photo By Peter Watts
Windsor Parish Church
 

Search for Hotels in Windsor



Windsor Parish Church - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT

Virtual tour panorama taken inside Windsor Parish Church. Lining the balcony are various paintings in different styles depicting the stages of the Cross, while above the entrance is the 17th Century painting of the 'Last Supper'.

Windsor Parish Church - FURTHER INFORMATION

Windsor Parish Church - Windsor visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Windsor Parish Church' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Berkshire.

Windsor Parish Church is one of the main churches in Windsor. The current church dates from the 19th Century, built in 1822. It replaced the Saxon and Norman Church of St John the Baptist which dated from around 1110AD. In 1870 the chancel and apse were added and then in 1898 the chancel screen was added in celebration of 60 years of Queen Victoria. The church has become a tourist attraction in Windsor, not least for the 17th century Last Supper painting above the entrance.

Windsor Parish Church - Interior

Within Windsor Parish Church visitors will find a number of works of art, artefacts and other items of interest, including:
  • The Last Supper - hanging in the West Gallery, possibly painted by Franz de Cleyn and presented to Royal Chapel c by Brian Duppa, Bishop of Winchester, Prelate of the Order of the Garter, in around 1660.
  • John Woodruff Memorial - grey marble memorial on the West Wall to John Woodruff, (1669-1728), mason to Lord Weymouth of Old Windsor.
  • Stained Glass Windows - including on showing the Archangel Gabriel and Mary at the Annunciation, presented for the Diamond Jubilee of the Girls' Friendly Society.
  • Windsor Parish Church Painting - painting showing the church and grounds as they would have looked in about 1760, done by Margaret Yardley, A.R.C.A.
  • Brass Lectern - made in 1882 in memory of Jas. Griffin, a Churchwarden
  • Organ - with 57 stops and 20 pistons and couplers, and about 3,000 speaking pipes made by A. Hunter and Son.
  • Chancel and Apse - created by Teulon in 1870, housing a choir with 6 full length angel figures.


ADDRESS

Windsor Parish Church
47 High St
Windsor SL4 1LR
Phone: 01753 740 121



TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE

Flight: Heathrow Airport, 12 miles east of Windsor.
Road: Windsor is close to junction 6 of the M4, about 30 miles west of central London and 8 miles from the M25.
Train: Windsor & Eton Central Rail Station, Windsor & Eton Riverside Rail Station.



Recent Local Panoramas

Wandsworth Common Lake
Wandsworth Common Lake / London
St Marys Cemetery
St Marys Cemetery / London
London From Floor 38 of The Gherkin
London From Floor 38 of The Gherkin / London
Jubilee Gardens - London Eye
Jubilee Gardens - London Eye / London
Jubilee Gardens - London Eye
Jubilee Gardens - London Eye / London
Trafalgar Square Charing Cross
Trafalgar Square Charing Cross / London
St Patrick's Church Soho
St Patrick's Church Soho / London
St Martin in the Fields Church
St Martin in the Fields Church / London


Google





Real Time Web Analytics