City Museum of Split - Split visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'City Museum of Split' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Split-Dalmatia County.
The City Museum of Split (Muzej Grada Splita) is housed within the former Gothic palace of the Papalic family built in the northern half of Diocletian's Palace in Medieval times, close to the Golden Gate. The palace was designed and built by Juraj of Dalmatia, a native master, and his stone carvers and builders circle. The courtyard has a richly decorated portal and loggia. On the first floor is a grand hall with lavish four-light, two-light and one-light windows and well preserved wooden ceiling.
The museum was founded in 1946 and has a permanent exhibition about the history of Split from the 12th to 14th centuries, when the city was an autonomous commune. Highlights within the City Musuem include the city statute, seal and coins and the Romanesque sculpture from the belfry of Split Cathedral. Articles from the 15th and 16th century cover the period of Venetian rule, including various works by the literary circle of Marko Marulić and a collection of Gothic-Renaissance coffers known as the Libro d'Oro.
The museum also has a small armoury displaying various weapons from the 15th to 18th century.
The museum is one of the city highlights, and entrance fees apply.
Flight: Split International Airport found 20km west of Split, transfer by either taxi or bus. Ferry: Regular ferries from Dubrovnik, Korcula, Mljet, Pescara, Rijeka, Vis, Hvar, Spetare (Brač), Stari Grad, Drvenik and Ancona in Italy. Road: Split lies on the 8 coastal road, about 30km north of Omiš and 60km north of Makarska. It is 150km south of Zadar.