Jardin des Plantes - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
This panorama was taken at the estern end of the Jardin des Plantes, which can take a whole day to explore fully. This panoramic photograph was taken at the oposite end of the garden to the Grande Galerie de l'Évolution, the building behind the two people in this picture. In the other direction was a strange sculpture of a dragon made of metal. It is not very clear in this image.
Jardin des Plantes - FURTHER INFORMATION
Jardin des Plantes - Paris visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Jardin des Plantes' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Paris.
The Jardin des Plates started in Paris out as a medicinal and herb garden in 1626 and has gradually developed into the botanical gardens of Paris with a number of hothouses, lawns, museums (including the Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle and the Grande Galerie de l'Évolution) and a zoo. The Jardin des Plantes has a thriving training, educational and social programme. The gradens cover 28 hectares and one of the plots contains 4500 plants arranged by species. A further 3 hectares are devoted to decorative plants and there is an extensive Alpine garden with over 3000 species of plants. In 1990 a special part of the Jardin des Plantes was set aside for roses. Among the specialized plant houses are the Art Deco Wintergarden, and Mexican and Australian Hothouses.
The original garden, planted by Guy de La Brosse, physician to Louis XIII's in 1626 was known as the Jardin du Roi. It opened to the public in 1640. The gardens soon fell into decline until Dr. Guy Crescent Fagon was appointed director in 1693. In 1739 the Comte de Buffon became the curator. He added the maze and labyrinth (which still remain) and expanded the gardens. In 1792 the Royal Menagerie was moved here from Versailles.
The main entrance to the Jardin des Plantes is on rue Cuvier, where there is a cedar of Lebanon, the seed of which was sent from the Oxford Botanical Gardens and planted here in 1734. Also here is a slice of a 2000 year old American sequoia tree. History of the area is not only linked to plants, for in nearby physics labs Henry Bexquerel discovered radioactivity in 1896, followed by the discovery of Radium in 1988 by the Curies.
Travel and Getting There:
Metro: Jussieu (line 7, 10), Place Monge (line 7)
Bus: 24, 57, 61, 63, 67, 89, 91, Batobus