Virtual tour panorama showing the interior of the 12th century church to St Mary found on Sv Marije Island in Mljet National Park. The church is still pretty much intact, though other parts of the complex have fallen into disrepair. Image taken September 2011.
St Mary Church on Sv Marije Island - Mljet Island visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'St Mary Church on Sv Marije Island' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Dubrovnik-Neretva.
The Monastery of Saint Mary (Sv Marije) was built in the 12th century by the Serbian Prince Desa of the House of Vojislavljević between 1187 and 1198. It was built for Benedictine monks who had arrived in Sutmiholjska cove on Mljet Island from Italy and became the feudal lords of the island. The church was consecrated by letter by Pope Innocent III in 1198. The monastery occupied most of Sv Marije Island, a tiny island situated in Veliko jezero near the western end of Mljet.
The Benedictine maintained a community here until 1809, when it was disbanded during the times of Napoleon. After that time the buildings were used as an office for the forestry commission and a hotel. Today, the monastery is one of the main attractions in Mljet National Park, accessible by small ferry over the lake.
Ferry: small ferries run from Sv Marije Island to both Malo jezro and Pristaniste. From Pristaniste a mini-bus runs regularly to Polače.