Peniche - FURTHER INFORMATION
Peniche - Peniche visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Peniche' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Estremadura.
Peniche lies about an hour north of Lisbon on small peninsula on the Atlantic coast. It is best known for both the Ilha da Berlenga (Berlengas islands) that lie just off the coast, and for the long, windy, surfing beaches. Historically, Peniche has been a small, thriving, fishing town which was granted Royal Charter by King Afonso Henriques in 1158.
Peniche - SurfingPeniche is considered by many to offer the best and most consistent surfing in Portugal. The peninsula and surroundings offer both north and south-facing coastline which provide excellent surfing almost every day regardless of the direction of swell and wind. The Peniche Peninsula has about 15km of surfing beaches providing something for every level. The most popular surfing spot in the Peniche is Supertubos, renowned for best and most powerful tubular waves in Europe, known among the surfing fraternity as the European Pipeline.
In addition to surfing, the beaches are also popular among those looking for body-surfing, wind surfing and kite surfing. There are numerous companies that run surfing camps and schools, though it is best to make sure that the instructors are Portuguese Surfing Federation qualified, or equivalent.
Peniche - Tourist AttractionsPeniche is not just about surfing and has a number of sights and attractions worth visiting. Some of the most popular tourist attractions around Peniche include:
- Peniche Harbour - old harbour with old walls and many good seafood restaurants serving fresh, locally caught seafood.
- Peniche Fortress - 16th century defensive sea fortress used at one time as a prison and today housing a museum of local history.
- Foz do Arelho Beach - found a little north of Peniche this is a sandy, relaxing beach with tranquil waters.
- Cabo Carvoeiro - rugged cape with intriguing coastline, bizarre rock formations and panoramic views over the ocean and to Berlengas Island.
- Ilha da Berlenga (Berlengas islands) - rugged island and now a nature reserve with deep coves and beaches, the Fort of São João Baptista das Berlengas, lighthouse and small beaches.
- Misericordia Church - standing in the main square the church has a painted ceiling showing scenes from the New Testament.
- Nau dos Corvos - famous rock formation and also the name of a popular, highly recommended restaurant.
- Campo de Golfe do Botado - 9-hole golf course that is part of the Atlântico Golfe Hotel just south of Peniche.
- Ilheu da Papoa - rocky peninsula and headland at the northern end of Peniche, just next to Pehiche Beach, with jagged cliffs and good sea views.
Peniche Tourist Information Centre
Rua Alexandre Herculano
2520-273 – Peniche
Phone: 262 789 571
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Car: Pehiche is 105Km north of central Lisbon on the 1C1 / A8 and then IP6 roads.
Flight: Lisbon Airport