Picture showing the front of St. Mark's Cathedral in Korcula and the main square of the fortified Medieval city. Virtual tour taken early in the evening in September 2011.
Cathedral of St Mark in Korcula - Korcula Island visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Cathedral of St Mark in Korcula' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Dubrovnik-Neretva.
The Cathedral of St Mark (Cathedral Sveti Marko) in Korčula dates from the 15th century, and is arguably the most important building in the city and a popular tourist attraction. The Gothic-Renaissance stands on the site of an earlier 13th century church. It was built by famous masons of the time, including mason Marko Andijic constructed the elegant ciborium above main altar and completed cathedral's tower and cupola in 1481.
The facade of the church is decorated with a fluted rose and various reliefs and statues. The main door is framed by statues of Adam and Eve accompanied by lions. Inside are two 16th century paintings by Tintoretto (Jacopo Comin), a Venetian painter and a notable exponent of the Renaissance school.
Also inside the church is the the Chapel of Saint Rok, completed in 1525 as a place to offer prayer on behalf of Korčula which at the time was suffering from the ravages of Plague (Black Death).
The square outside the cathedral is lined by various shops and boutiques. It is also used for al-fresco dining by the various restaurants that open up onto it. It is a short walk from this square to Marco Polo's Tower.
Bus: Regular long distance buses from Zagreb, Dubrovnik, Split, Sarajevo, Vela Luka and Beograd. Local buses serve the rest of Korčula island.
Ferry: Regular ferries from Rijeka, Split, Hvar, Mljet, Drvenik, Dubrovnik, Vela Luka and Stari Grad.
Flight: Split Airport and Dubrovnik Airport followed by ferry transfer.
Car: Korcula town is near the eastern end of Korcula island, about 43Km from Vela Luka and 25 km from Smokvica. It is 6km north of Lumbarda.