Guildford Cathedral - Lady Chapel - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Virtual tour panorama taken inside the Lady Chapel of Guildford Cathedral in England. This chapel is towards the rear of the church, behind the High Altar at the eastern end of the building. The chapel is quite plainly decorated in white with a partially decorated blue and gold ceiling. Panorama taken December 2011.
Guildford Cathedral - Lady Chapel - FURTHER INFORMATION
Guildford Cathedral - Lady Chapel - Guildford visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Guildford Cathedral - Lady Chapel' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Surrey.
A Lady Chapel is a chapel inside a cathedral, church or basilica, that is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Most large medieval churches, both Roman Catholic and Anglican, include a Lady Chapel. The Lady Chapel tends to be the largest chapel of the Cathedral, generally built eastward of the high altar as a projection from the main building.
Guildford Cathedral is no exception to this. The Lady Chapel is a space for private prayer at the east end of the Cathedral. There is a small organ (secondary to the main organ of the Cathedral) in the Musicians' Gallery of the Lady Chapel - the gift of a private donor.
The exterior of the Lady Chapel holds four statues - St Cecilia, St Martha of Bethany, St Catherine and Lady Margaret Beaufort. There is also a wooden cross made from Burma Teak that came from HMS Ganges - this was placed here in 1933 to mark the site of the new Cathedral. Building work didn't commence until 1936.
At the rear of the Lady Chapel is a Garden of Remembrance. It is a special place for those whose family members ashes' are buried here.
Telephone: 01483 547860
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Bus: Dennisville, The Chase (4, 10, 520, 697, X50)
Train: Guildford Rail Station with mainline links to London.
Road: Guildford is about 35 miles form the centre of London on the A3. Follow signs off the A3 to the cathedral.