Hawea Village - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Virtual tour panorama showing Hawea village at the southern end of Lake Hawea. Image taken early 2008.
Hawea Village - FURTHER INFORMATION
Hawea Village - Wanaka visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Hawea Village' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Otago.
Hawea is a small village built on the Hawea Flat at the southern end of Lake Hawea in Central Otago. From the village there are beautiful views down Lake Hawea, lined by mountains on either side. Hawea survives mostly on tourism, providing food and lodgings for those exploring the surrounding mountains or fishing and water sports in the clear waters.
The hotels and motels of Hawea are within easy driving distance of the surrounding ski regions in the winter, while during the summer months the mountains provide almost limitless opportunities for walking, cycling and mountaineering.
Lake Hawea is also very close to Lake Wanaka, which lies in the neigbouring valley to the east. The two lakes are separated by a narrow isthmus known as . Lake Wanaka and Lake Hawea are both thought to be named after local Maori tribes. Both the lakes are part of the Queenstown-Lakes District.
Hawea - Sights, Attractions, ActivitiesSome popular walking tracks around Lake Hawea include:
- Boundary Creek Track - 6km long old musterers' track up a gorge taking about 3 hours to do.
- Dingle Burn Track - 41km long track which starts at the confluence of the Dingle Burn and Lake Hawea with several huts along the route.
- Hunter Valley Track - starting at the Turihuka Conservation Area this 6 hour walk provides excellent lake and mountain views finishing at the head of the Hunter Valley.
- Kidds Bush Nature Walk - easy to walk 1km (30 min) loop through a mountain beech forest at the Kidds Bush Recreation Reserve campsite near The Neck.
- Timaru River Track - 38km tramping route along the Timaru River and over the 1,680-metre Mount Martha Saddle before descending into the Ahuriri Valley and Conservation Park.
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Road: Hawea at the southern end of Lake Hawea is about 15km north of Wanaka on Highway 6.
Flight: Wanaka Airport