Street Market outside the Church of St Anthony of Padua - FURTHER INFORMATION
Street Market outside the Church of St Anthony of Padua - New York visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Street Market outside the Church of St Anthony of Padua' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from New York.
The parish of St. Anthony of Padua was founded in 1859 by the Church of St. Vincent de Paul to serve the growing population of Italian immigrants to New York City. The current church was built between 1886-88 in Italian Renaissance style. Designed by Arthur Crooks with a gabled façade of granite trimmed and limestone with three entrances. Above the main entrance is a statue of St. Anthony and 26 foot-wide stained rose window.
The street market occupies space created when the IND subway was built under West Houston Street in the 1930's. At Christmas time the church holds an annual Nativity Play on the street in this space. West Houston Street forms the boundary between the NoHo and SoHo districts of Manhattan, just south of Washington Square Park. A little to the west is the Children's Museum of the Arts.