Hudson River from the Esplanade, Manhattan - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Virtual tour taken late one afternoon in March 2008 showing a view across the Hudson River from the Esplanade of Battery Park City on the west side of Lower Manhattan in New York City. On the far side are the skyscrapers of Downtown Jersey City in New Jersey.
Hudson River from the Esplanade, Manhattan - FURTHER INFORMATION
Hudson River from the Esplanade, Manhattan - New York visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Hudson River from the Esplanade, Manhattan' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from New York.
Along the west side of Lower Manhattan in New York runs the Esplanade, a promenade along the Hudson River stretching from Battery Park to Nelson Rockefeller Park. Along the way the promenade passes various parks, memorials and statues all the time giving great views over to New Jersey and Downtown Jersey City.
Battery Park City - Nearby Sights and Tourist AttractionsUnlike many tourist attractions in New York, a walk along the Esplanade is free. Some of the sights found along the way include:
- Battery Park - at the southern end of Manhattan, it contains the East Coast WWII Memorial, Korea War Memorial and The Sphere sculpture memorial to the Twin Towers.
- Robert F Wagner Junior Park - small park next to which are the Skyscraper Museum and Museum of Jewish Heritage.
- South Cove - the Esplanade runs around South Cove in a tree lined walk with plenty of seating.
- Rector Place - quite square in a residential area.
- Gateway Plaza - square containing an art installation.
- North Cove - popular area contains with various cafes and restaurants around the World Financial Center Plaza, and the Winter Garden which backs onto Ground Zero, close to the National September 11 Memorial & Museum.
- Vesey Green - small square containing the Irish Hunger Memorial.
- Nelson Rockefeller Park - large park forming the northernmost end of the promenade, popular with residents and visitors alike.
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Subway: South Ferry (Line 1), Bowling Green (Lines 4,5), Whitehall Street - South Ferry (R, W lines)