St Mary Church Chiddingstone - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
Panorama showing the interior of St Mary Church in the tiny village of Chiddingstone in Kent. It was taken using a monopod and a very high ISO on the camera, so not as sharp as it could be, but the virtual tour gives a reasonable impression of the church. Image taken late August 2012 during a country walk from Hever to Leigh
St Mary Church Chiddingstone - FURTHER INFORMATION
St Mary Church Chiddingstone - Chiddingstone visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'St Mary Church Chiddingstone' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Kent.
St Mary's Church in Chiddingstone in Kent is an old country church, parts of which date back to the 13th century though records of an earlier church from 1120 exist. The nave was rebuilt after being struck by lightning in 1624. It is linked to St. Luke's Chiddingstone Causeway to provide a service to the surrounding area.
This is a Grad II listed building built from local sandstone with a four bay nave and two bay chancel with north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. The tower dates from the 15th century. The octagonal sandstone font with an oak cover was built 1628 by the master mason William Holis. The octagonal, oak pulpit is also from the 17th century. Also inside is a rare Vinegar Bible of 1717, so called because in St Luke's Gospel, Chapter 20, 'The parable of the vineyard' was misprinted as 'The parable of the vinegar'.
St Mary C Of E Church
Kent, TN8 7AH
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Road: Chiddingstone lies about 4 miles east of Edenbridge and 8 miles west of Tonbridge in Kent.
Train: Chiddingstone is about 2.5 miles from Penshurst Station and 3.4 miles from Hever Station.