Saint-Vincent-de-Paul Church - PHOTOGRAPHER COMMENT
360 panorama taken outside the church of Saint-Vincent-de-Paul in Paris. This church is not on the tourist hit list, but the steps to the church looked very appealing surrounded by cherry blossom, as shown in this panoramic picture. The image was taken early in the day.
Saint-Vincent-de-Paul Church - FURTHER INFORMATION
Saint-Vincent-de-Paul Church - Paris visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Saint-Vincent-de-Paul Church' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Paris.
Église Saint-Vincent-de-Paul (Church of Saint-Vincent-de-Paul) is close to the Gare du Nord railway station in Paris. The church was designed by Jacques Ignace Hittorff and Jean-Baptiste Lepère who based their neo-Classical and Romantic design on the churches of St. Lawrence Outside the Walls and St. Agnes Outside walls in Rome. The front of the church looks like a Greek temple, as shown in this panorama.
Église Saint-Vincent-de-Paul took 20 years to build, with the first stone laid in 1824 abd completed in 1844. Building was delayed both by an economic crisis and the French Revolution. Little about the church, either inside or out, has changed since it was first built. Above the portico as you approach the church is the 'Apotheosis of St. Vincent de Paul' showing Vincent surrounded by a missionary, a convict and the Daughters of Charity.
Église Saint-Vincent-de-Paul - ArtNotable features inside the Church of Saint Vincent de Paul include:
- Christ in Majesty - painted by Francis Picot in the vault.
- Procession of the Saints - painted by Hippolyte Flandrin between 1848 to 1853 showing 160 saints proceeding towards the sanctuary. Stained Glass Windows - painted glass by Charles Lawrence Marshall adorns the side chapels depicting figures of Faith and Charity.
- Enamel Panels by Pierre-Jules Jollivet - considered so shocking in mid 19th century they were removed. The panels covered Eve's creation, the Trinity, Baptism of Christ, Adoration of the Magi, all apart from Eve's Creation have since been re-installed.
- Church Organs - the church has 2 organs, one built in 1852 by Aristide Cavaille-Coll.
- The Lady Chapel - enlarged in 1869 containing a beautiful carving of the Messiah by Albert-Ernest Carrier-Belleuse as well as statues of Joan of Arc, Saint Vincent, a 1952 mosaic of the Litany of the Virgin by Auguste Labouret and eight paintings by William Bouguereau.
Jacques Ignace Hittorff was also responsible for the layout of the Place de la Concorde, carried out in stages between 1833 and 1846, many of the cafés and restaurants on the Champs-Élysées and the façades forming the circle round the Arc de Triomphe.
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Metro: Gare du Nord (lines 4, 5)
RER: Gare du Nord (Lines B, D, E)