Panorama taken from the front of the Neue Burg in Vienna showing the equine statue of Prince Eugene of Savoy in Heldenplatz by Anton Fernkorn and unveiled in 1865 a year before the sculptor died.
Neue Burg - Vienna visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Neue Burg' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360Â° panoramas from Wien.
The Neue Burg is the most recent part of the Hofburg in Vienna. It was built in 1913 and meant to be mirrored by a second wing enclosing Heldenplatz, which was never built. The Neue Burg is most famous as the place where Adolf Hitler addressed the Austrian people from the central balcony as they gathered in Heldenplatz below when he proclaimed the Anschluss unifying Austria with Germany in 1938. Austria was not to become a fully independent state again until 1955.
Today the Neue Burg is home to the main reading room of the Nationalbibliothek (part of the Kunsthistorisches Museum) houses various museums, as described below.
Hofjagd- und Rüstkammer: This is also known as the Waffensammlung (Weaponry Collection) and contains one of the finest collections of armour in the world, mostly from the 15C to 17C. Highlights of this collection include an Albanian helmet from 1460 topped with a golden goat's head. Here too are the Adlergarnitur (Eagle Armour) made for Archduke Ferdinand of Tyrol in the 16C, and a blue-gold suit made for Maximilian II from the same era along with a gold rapier, one of the finest works in the whole collection. Another room contains High Renaissance costume armour which copied the puffs and ruffs of the clothing of the day and was never intended for use in anger.
Sammlung alter Musikinstrumente: A collection of early musical instruments, many collected by Archduke Ferdinand of Tyrol. The rare items here include a clavicytherium (a kind of vertical-mounted harpsichord) richly inlaid with ivory, ebony and other materials. There is also a unique set of six dragon-shaped shawms (Renaissance woodwind instrument and forerunner of the oboe) from the 16C. A totally unplayable tortoiseshell violin decorated with gold and ivory brought by Maria Theresia for the Schatzkammer lies here alongside 6 ornate silver and gold trumpets used in the Hofmusikkapelle and a glass harmonica.
Ephesos-Museum: Opened in 1978, this museum contains a large collection of artifacts taken from Turkey. The most significant item here is the Parthian Frieze dating from around the 2C shortly after the Roman victory in the Parthian wars. There is a wooden model of Ephesus, one side of the Octagon, and an Amazon from the Temple of Artemis.
Museum für VÃ¶lkerkunde: This museum contains a collection of religious artifacts from around the world. Items brought back by Captain Cook from Polynesia form the highlight of the collection. They were brought in auction in 1806 by Emperor Franz I. This collection includes a 16C gilded Aztec feather headdress which may have belonged to Emperor Moctezuma II.
U-Bhan U2: Museumsquartier, Volkstheatre
U-Bhan U3: Herrengasse, Volkstheatre
Bus / Tram: D, J, 1, 2, 46, 49, 48A