A panorama showing Makapuu lighthouse from the viewpoint on Makapuu Point on Oahu. The lighthouse is on the northern edge of the point and from here there are great views up the Windward Coast as shown in this image, with both Manana Island (Rabbit Island) and Kaohikaipu Island (Turtle Island) a little off shore.
Makapuu Point Lighthouse - Oahu visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Makapuu Point Lighthouse' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Hawaii.
Makapu'u Lighthouse has stood on Makapu'u Point since 1909 guiding shipping round the southeast point of Oahu in Hawaii. The lighthouse is 35 feet high and originally had a stationary hyperradiant lens around which large copper panels rotated to create the flashing light. These were on a mechanism that needed to be would up every 3 hours or so. There were three attendants who lived in dwellings built in a low depression on top of the point. Makapu'u Lighthouse was automated in 1974, and it was here that the first shipping radio beacon for Hawaii was installed in 1927.
Today the area around the lighthouse is part of Makapu'u Point State Park. A single lane track leads up the western edge of Makapu'u Point allowing access by the Coastguard personnel for lighthouse maintenance. This is closed to public traffic, but people are free to park at the bottom and take the 2.5 mile walk up to the lighthouse viewpoint. Makapu'u Point is also popular for whale watching during the summer months. at the base on the northern side is Makapu'u Beach Park.