Bernau im Schwarzwald - Bernau im Schwarzwald visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Bernau im Schwarzwald' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from Baden-Wuerttemberg.
Bernau im Schwarzwald is a valley in the Black Forest in the southwest corner of Germany, close to the borders of France, Switzerland and Austria. The region lies between 800 and 1415 metres above sea level with a population of about 1900. The 8 kilometre long municipality consists of the localities Altenrond, Bernau-Dorf mit Goldbach and Poche, Bernau-Hof, Bernau-Innerlehen, Bernau-Riggenbach mit Schwendele, Gaß, Kaiserhaus, Oberlehen and Unterlehen and Weierle. Bernau-Hof is at the base of the 1415 metres high Herzogenhorn, the second highest mountain in the Black Forest with stunning panoramic views over the Black Forest and the Swiss Alps.
Settlement of Bernau started in the 11th century from the abbey in nearby Sankt Blasien. 53% of Bernau is covered by forest, 40% is used for farming serving mainly for Hinterwälder dairy cows, the smallest cattle race in Europe. The wide valley opens up from north to south making it a sunlight filled oasis for tourists and locals. Bernau is also known for its small wood working factories with outlets selling a vast range of wooden articles produced from local timber.
Bernau im Schwarzwald - Attractions
The top attractions around Bernau im Schwarzwald are all based in the forests and mountains of the Black Forest.
- Hans Thoma Museum and Town Hall with a permanent exhibition of the famous local painter Hans Thoma
- Resenhof Museum - farming museum set in a 200 year old Black Forest farm house in Bernau-Oberlehen.
- Sankt Blasien - Town with a 63m high dome and an abbey from the 11th century.
- Lake Constance - Alpine lake with the islands of Reichenau and Mainau and Reichenau Abbey, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Colmar - 1,000-year-old French town where the famous Isenheim altar (1515) is housed in the Musée d'Unterlinden.
- Europapark Europa Park - second largest theme park in Europe.
- Freiburg - historic old town with a Gothic cathedral.
- Hasel / Hazel Caves - one of the oldest caves in Germany, some 2.1km long with 360m tall stalactites.
- Rhine Falls - at Schaffhausen in Switzerland, dramatic falls set in stunning surroundings.
- Steinwasenpark - theme park with massive summer toboggan run and other rides.
Bernau im Schwarzwald - Summer
During the summer months the mountains draw thousands of visitors. Bernauer Valley has been called 'most beautiful high valley in the Southern Black Forest Nature Park'. Popular summer activities include hiking, Nordic walking, paragliding and mountain biking. Popular walks include:
- Feldberg (1493m) - the most visited peak in the Black Forest, Feldberg is the highest point of Baden-Wuerttemberg range.
- Herzogenhorn (1415m) - second highest peak in the region with stunning views down the Bernauer valley.
- Belchen (1414m) - with good views of the Alps on a clear day and also of the Rhine valley with the Vosges.
Bernau im Schwarzwald - Winter
In the winter Bernau im Schwarzwald is transformed into a snow-covered wonderland. The region offers skiing, both downhill (Alpine) and Nordic skiing, dog sledging, snow tubing and sledging, Trapper Snowshoe expeditions and a unique Winter Camping experience on the mountains.
Bernau im Schwarzwald Tourist-Information
79872 Bernau im Schwarzwald
Car: Bernau im Schwarzwald is on the southern edges of Naturpark Südschwarzwald, about 200 km south of Stuttgart, 75km east of Mulhouse in France and 45km south of Freiburg im Breisgau.